Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Don't you mind being the comic relief all the time?

A few months ago someone asked me "Don't you mind being the comic relief all the time?". At that point I didn't even think twice about the question. In between knee slapping and snorts I said "No" while continuing with my comical tirade.

It wasn't til most recently, when an older friend of mine, passed away suddenly due to a heart attack that I was forced to revisit that question. Though most people were dealing with the abrupt passing of our colleague with tears and more common ways of mourning, I found myself asking my friend if it was to soon to make jokes. (To which she answered "Yes Tiffani" very frankly). I know many of you are probably shaking your heads at me right now ready to press the "x" button at the top of this window, in disbelief of my disrespect for the dead, but before you do allow me to explain.

I am light hearted by nature. I don't do well in tenebrious type situations at all. Delicate scenarios that involve a lot of crying, hand holding, and hugging, are not usual scenarios I do very well in. In fact to be blunt funerals, wakes, divorce, breakups, "I think I might be pregnant"(s), "My father is cheating on my mother", "I got fired" are most all of the situations I might not be the most reliable source in. I honestly feel there is a very FUNNY silver lining to everything. I believe that I'm here on this earth to cut through the tension. I'm supposed to be the one that points out that 800lb gorilla standing in the corner.

So I ask myself the initial question again. "Don't you mind being the comic relief all the time?" and to this I still answer "No, why should I. I don't like seeing people cry unless they are happy tears, and I rather be the reason for the happy tears then being the one to prolong the sad ones."

1 comment:

  1. You should add the actual story...about the dude looking down at bouncing boobs from heaven, so people have an idea of just how foolish you can be!!

    ReplyDelete